Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Greek Lemon Chicken Soup.... for the soul


Why is this a Foodgasm?

As I mention a lot, I am half Greek. Growing up with my yia-yia (grandma in Greek) when I wasn't feeling well she made me Chicken Soup, but not just any Chicken Soup. Chicken Avgolemeno Soup. A Greek Lemon Chicken Soup that she made with orzo, that is creamy, tangy, lemony and can eat like a meal. This always made me feel better from the inside out. Now that my yia-yia is no longer with me, it makes me feel nostalgic and reminds me of a simpler time. It is the ultimate comfort food.

I loved her soup, BUT there were always a couple things I wanted to change. She always used the whole chicken and tore off the pieces, but I have always been partial to white meat, hate dark. So I used chicken breast only, also happens it's healthier for you! I kept in the traditional holy trinity of celery, onions and carrots, but decided to add some mushrooms as well, why the hell not! I tried it and really liked it.

Now that cold and flu season is upon us, I thought this was appropriate. This will surely cure what ails you body and soul!


What you need

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 pound chicken breast, cubed
7 celery stalks, chopped
2 cups baby carrots, sliced into smaller pieces
7 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 medium sweet onion, diced
4 cups of chicken broth
8 cups water
1 cup dry uncooked orzo
2 eggs
Juice of 1 large lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste

How to make it

1- In a large soup pot add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and place on medium heat.
2- Start cooking 1 pound chicken breast, cubed in the heated oil.
3- Add all dem veggies: 7 celery stalks, chopped; 2 cups baby carrots, sliced into smaller pieces; 7 baby bella mushrooms, sliced; 1 medium sweet onion, diced. Let it cook while stirring for a couple minutes until chicken is white and onions are transluscent.
4- Pour in 4 cups of chicken broth and 8 cups water. Put heat on high.
5- When the soup comes to a boil add in 1 cup dry uncooked orzo.
6- Bring down the heat a little to medium high heat and let the orzo cook about 7- 10 minutes.
7- Once orzo is well cooked take the pot off the heat. NEXT comes the tricky part!
8- Scramble your 2 eggs in a medium mixing bowl.
9- Add some of the warm broth into the scrambled eggs slowly while you whisk the eggs, then add some more broth while still whisking....then once more. This is called tempering the eggs. You gotta get the eggs to the temperature of the soups broth otherwise you will have egg drop soup--- NOT as good. Tempering the eggs will make the soup creamy!
10- Add Salt and Pepper to taste and the Juice of 1 large lemon.

Nutritional Information

Each serving is 4 Points Plus on Weight Watchers.




No comments:

Post a Comment