Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Easy Quinoa Spanakopita Roll Ups

Spanokopita aka Greek Spinach Pie is delicious, but can be quite labor intensive, so I made it easier and put an extra healthy spin on it by adding quinoa! This Mediterranean delight is light on calories and high in flavor!


I am half Greek guys, in case you didn't know. I throw a while lots Mediterranean mayhem and recipes your way. Ever heard of the Mediterranean diet? Well these people live healthy and eat healthy naturally. So I thought I would send some Greek action your way.  It's a good thing too because after the holidays- it's time for some holiday detox bitches... I know you been bad. I sure know I was. Yeah I was a bad bad girl! I must have gone through like 4 pounds of butter from all the baking over the holidays!




So now I welcome thee veggies!! Come to me and make me feel alive and healthy again! I want to not hate myself and have my stomach hate me from all the fat and the large portions!


So have you heard of spanakopita- don't be afraid of the Greek word, it's jut a spinach pie with onions garlic herbs and feta! It's magical and delicious! The combination of flavors you cannot go wrong with!

If you guys ever made spanakopita... (Probably not if you're not Greek or as my mom calls you a Non-Greeks), Usually it's kinda a pain in he ass to make. You buy filo dough, so that's easy... But it's not too easy to work with and you have to add many layers of the sheets of dough and use butter to keep it together. Making a while spinach pie can be a pain and take a while. So I simplified it and made it into an appetizer sized food- a roll up!

You only need one sheet of dough for each roll up and you'll need to work a little fast, but I have simplified it a lot. 

Added bonus: I added quinoa. Some people add rice in their spinach pie when using fresh spinach... Helps soak up the extra juice created by the spinach while baking. So instead of rice I added quinoa! More healthy! More awesome!

Eat up my friends and taste the healthy!

Easy Quinoa Spanakopita Roll Ups

by Sophia Del Gigante
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 5)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup diced onions
  • 3 cups fresh spinach
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
  • 1 tablespoon chopped dill
  • 1/3 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 5 sheets filo dough
  • 1/4 cup melted butter or olive oil to brush onto dough.
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Add olive oil to a skillet on men doin heat.
Add onions and cook until translucent.
Turn heat off from skillet and add in the spinach a little at a time. Skillet will remain warm and will allow spinach to wilt and cook just a bit.
Stir in quinoa, parsley, dill and feta.
Layout sheets of filo dough and cover with damp cloth.
Take one and fold it in half length wise, brush with olive oil or butter. Spoon some of the spinach and quinoa mixture on the bottom I'm a line horizontally and roll up, adding more olive oil or butter to coat and cover with sesame seeds if desired.
Repeat as necessary- bake for 15- 20 minutes.
Slice to serve if desired. Or serve in whole rolls.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment